Friday, March 26, 2010

Self Talk

I went to visit the on campus counselor this week. And after explaining what I've been going through the last few months he feels that I might be depressed. He also thinks that I have been going through it for longer than just this year or that I might have had it before. He was very kind but also very stern. If I don't commit to getting better I won't.

He suggested a kind of therapy called Self Talk. He has used it before for himself and for other students that go to my school. Because I am a Christian he suggested it be biblically based. The basic idea is that I talk to myself. It sounds kind of crazy, but I am supposed to say a couple phrases that he gave me 4 to 5 times a day. In the mirror or just out loud, it doesn't matter as long as I'm saying it. It won't start working right away. He told me that if I commit to doing this I will typically start feeling better after a couple weeks. I have another meeting with him next Thursday to start talking out all the crazy stuff that has happened to me.

The phrases I'm saying are : I am a child of God and He loves me, and I am not a conqueror except through Christ.
It's funny because I believe both of those things, but saying them out loud feels so weird. It's just awkward. But I honestly hope it works.

It was a melancholy day yesterday. I had so much going through my head. I just want this feeling to go away. I know God has good plans for me, I just hate not knowing what they are.

Keeping my chin up,
K

2 comments:

Katie Aman said...

Hey, you-I love you!!

MotherGoose said...

I'm so glad that you are finding things to help. I think that first step is the hardest... realizing that it is time to get better. If you remember I was there right before I got involved with you guys in that Bible study after I lost my cousin. *hugs*

It does get better... hooray for you for admitting it and looking for help! Moms love you no matter what and I hated that mine knew I was depressed to (why do we think we can somehow hide it from them?)

Love you tons... come see me sometime! I wish I could come see you but Abs and Kara hate being in the car....